Login to Pianola for personal results history, analysis of your performance, and a partner-finder
The Club originated prior to World War 2, although the present records date only from 1943 onwards.
Like many other clubs formed during that era, it was initially sponsored by the local Conservative party, which took any profits generated. During the war years, the profits were given to charities and a considerable amount of money was raised in this way.
At the Annual General Meeting held on the 8th of October 1945, the name of the Club was changed from the National Bridge Club, to The Cheadle Hulme Bridge Club and a vote was taken as to whether the club was to continue as a political or social club. Of the 28 members present at the meeting, 23 voted in favour of the Social club and 5 were in favour of the Political connection continuing.
At that time only Rubber Bridge was played, and records show that new members were not accepted without due caution and investigation! Many applicants were in fact turned down and in 1947 it was decided to limit the membership to a total of 60 members. Duplicate Bridge was first considered in 1945/6, but it was a further 2 years, in November 1948, that just ONE Duplicate session was taking place each month, and a few friendly matches were being played with clubs from Stockport and Bramhall.
The Club premises, at that time were in Robinson’s Café and then at Oak House. In December 1949, a room was secured at the Cheadle Hulme Sports and Social Club in Mellor Road.
The year 1950, saw the arrival of Mr and Mrs Aspinall, who were to a large extent responsible for the development and growing interest in Duplicate Bridge. By the end of 1951, the Club had moved back to Oak House, but by October 1952, yet another move was made back to the Sports and Social Club, in Mellor Road. On October 1953, the membership had fallen to just 41, as a result of which, the table money was increased from 4 old pennies to 6!
The Paul Vincent Cup (Rubber Bridge) was introduced by a Mr Vincent in October 1954, in an attempt to secure better attendances at the Rubber Bridge sessions, which were no longer being well supported. In December 1955, the Aspinalls introduced the "best pairs" and the "best individual" competitions, and in December 1956, the EBU "Master Points" system was inaugurated. By 1957, the Rubber Bridge attendance had fallen to just ONE table, and there was serious talk of abandoning Rubber Bridge altogether: Duplicate Bridge had become very popular and the better players were keenly engaged in chasing Master Points!
In 1955, the Club moved to 15 Mellor Road, and in 1957 to the Buttery Café in Station Road. When the Café was sold a year later, a further move was made to the Mission Hall near Gill Bent Road, where the Club remained until 1961, when it returned to Mellor Road, this time at No. 26, the Gas Showrooms. In December 1989, there was the relocation to Matchpoint, in Dairyground Road, where the Club stayed for over 7 years, until acquiring the present custom-built premises in Tudor Buildings.